Listed below are some of the most frequently asked questions (FAQ). If you have any questions you do not see on the list, feel free to contact us... we are happy to help you.

1) Where is Utah State University Located? 

Utah Sate University is located in northern Utah in the city of Logan. Logan is about 80 miles (128km) north of the capitol city of Salt Lake City.

2) What is the weather like in Logan?

Average summer highs are 85 Fahrenheit (29 Celsius) and average winter highs are 34 Fahrenheit (1 Celsius).

3) How safe is the community and campus?

USU is located in Logan, UT which has been rate  one of the safest metropolitan ares in the United States for the last several years. Logan was also rated one of the best college towns by the American Institute for Economic Research. Both USU and Logan offer free transportation around the city, which it makes easy for students to run errands or visit friends who live off-campus. USU's Department of Public Safety educates students, staff, faculty, and the community about safety issues and resources. For more information:

4) What are your application deadlines?

  • Fall Semester: April 15 (application deadline); June1 (supporting materials deadline) 
  • Spring Semester: September 15 (application deadline); November 1 (supporting materials deadline)
  • Summer Semester: January 15 (application deadline); March 1 (supporting materials deadline)

5) What documents must I submit with my application?

  • An international undergraduate application along with the $75 application fee (this is a processing fee and cannot be waived). If you apply after the application deadline (see above) the application fee is $90. A link to the application can be found here: online undergraduate international application
  • One official  transcript sent to our office by your high school or secondary school that includes complete grade sheets for 10th, 11th, and 12th grades. Certified copies are acceptable. Certified English translations must accompany all documents. Transcripts sent by email or fax are NOT considered official, but will be used for evaluation purposes only.
  • Official transcripts sent to our office directly from any colleges or universities attended. Certified true copies are acceptable only for colleges or universities outside the U.S. Certified English translations must accompany all documents. 
  • An Affidavit of Financial Support form completed and signed by your sponsor.
  • An official bank statement. The official bank statement must show proof of funds equaling at least $28, 262 (estimated costs for 2013-2014). A breakdown of this cost is detailed on the fee schedule for perspective students. 
  • Proof of English skills. Undergraduate applicants' English skills are determined by a minimum TOEFL iBT score of 71 (TOEFL PBT score of 525), or an IELTS score of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.0 on each sub scale, or by passing level4 (advanced level) of the Intensive English Language Institute (IELI) program at Utah State University.
  • If your score does not meet these requirements, or if you do not have a TOEFL or IELTS score, you may apply to the Intensive English Language Institute. After you pass the advanced level test and you have applied for an international undergraduate degree, you may attend regular university class. Qualified students currently in level 4 (advanced level) of IELI program may take one or more academic courses if approved by the IELI staff and their university advisor. Students at any level may audit academic courses with approval of the IELI staff.
  • A copy of your passport. If you are now in the U.S., a copy of your visa and current I-20 are also requested.
  • Transfer in students: If you wish to transfer to USU from another U.S. college or university, or transfer from a college or university outside the U.S., you must have an overall GPA of 2.5. If you have less than 48 credits (in academic, non ESL courses), you must prove English language proficiency by submitting official TOEFL or IELTS scores or by taking the IELI placement exam (see above).

6) Can I study at Utah State University if I am not proficient in English?

Yes. At Utah State University, students not proficient in English will be required to take classes at the Intensive English Language Institute (IELI) until they have achieved English proficiency. 

International students can also apply for Intensive English Study only. They can take only IELI classes, then apply to USU later. To apply for IELI go to this website: IELI Website.

7) How much does it cost to study at Utah State University? 

Visit our undergraduate application website for a breakdown of associated costs. 

8) Do you accept transfer credit?

Yes. After admission, please talk to an international admissions coordinator in the Office of Global Engagement about the process. You can email: for information about transferring credits. 

9) How will the I-20 be sent to me?

After you have been accepted to Utah State University, we will send your acceptance letter, I-20, and other important information to you via FedEx or DHL. It is helpful for us to have a complete mailing address, including house number, street name, and zip or country code. A phone number is also required. 

10) Do I still need an I-20 if I already have one from my current school?

Yes. You will need a new I-20 for your study at Utah State University. When you are admitted, a SEVIS Transfer Verification form will be sent to you by email to take to your current school. Your current school will then return the form to us with SEVIS release date and new I-20 can be prepared after the date. 

11) If I am not a U.S. citizen, but I live in the United States and go to school here, am I considered an international student?


12. Do my documents need to be translated into English?

Yes. In order to evaluate your documents we require a certified English translation. This includes transcripts, bank statements, and any other documents that are not in English.

13) How can I check the status of my application?

You can check your application here using the Login ID and PIN you created to apply. Then you can open your completed application and vies its current status. If there is a date next to the application item needed, we have received it.

When your application is complete, it will be forwarded to the international admissions committee and for some programs, the academic department, for evaluation. We cannot predict how long the evaluation will take. An email with the admissions decision will be emailed to you. If you are admitted, an official admission letter will usually be sent to you with an I-20. 

15) I want to decline admission. What should I do? 

Please email us at and explain that you will not accept USU's offer of admission.

16) How can I request readmission? 

Please email us at and let us know you wish to apply for readmission to USU and we will respond with the steps you need to follow. 

17) What is the average class size at Utah State University?

20-30 students

18) How many students attend Utah State University?

Total headcount enrollment in Fall 2012 was 28,786 which includes USU Regional Campuses and Distance Education, as well as USU Eastern. The Logan campus has over 12,000 students.

19) Can I defer my admission to another semester?

Yes. You will need to complete the change of term request form. Please email  to let us know you wish to defer and to request this form. 

20) Can I live on campus?

Please see the Housing and Residence Life website for information about on-campus housing:

For information about living off campus, you can view different housing options on these websites: or www.  

21) I completed the housing application and will be living on campus. When can I move in?

Please contact the Housing and Residence Life office:

22) Do you have student clubs and organizations?

Yes! There are several clubs and organizations for students to get involved with. 

Visit ASUSU's website for more information

23) How do I get a VISA? What do I need to know about the immigration process?

Information on applying for visa will be sent with your admission and immigration documents. You can also learn more by going to this website:

24)  Do I have to attend International Student Orientation?

Yes, attendance is required. The information given at orientation regarding your legal status in the U.S. is important to you as you being at USU. There will also be information on resources that will help you be successful, fun activities and you will meet new friends! After admission, if you do not receive information about orientation, please email us at 

25) I'm transferring from another U.S. university. Do I have to attend International Student Orientation?

Yes. It is required due to immigration information that we are required to give you. You will learn about USU's resources, opportunity, and you will make new friends!

26) What is Connections?

University Connections is a two-credit course designed to help you transition to USU and prepare you for your college experience here. It is offered each fall semester.  

27) Can I work on campus if I am an international student?

Yes. Enrolled USU international students can apply to work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week. Please ask assistance in the Office of Global Engagement when you arrive at USU.

28) Is there financial aid for international students?

There is limited scholarship funding available. At the time an international application is evaluated, the applicant is also considered for scholarships. If approved by the scholarship committee, the student is notified of the scholarship by email. 

29) What if I change my major?

Please email us at prior to admission to make the request to change your major. If you have been admitted and an I-20 issued, you will need to meet with your academic advisor after you arrive at USU and he or she will assist you in changing your major. Be sure to let our office know if you change your major. An immigration advisor in the Office of Global Engagement will prepare a new I-20 with the correct major. 

30) What if my VISA expires?

Please see the U.S. Department of State website for answers regarding visas: http://

31) What happens if my passport expires?

Be aware of when all your documents expire (visa, passport, I-20). If one of these documents is going to expire, it is best to renew them 3-6 months before they expire. If your passport is already expired, you will need to renew it IMMEDIATELY. For assistance, please come to the Office of Global Engagement. 

32) How can I find out more about things to do in Logan, UT?

The following websites provide helpful information about things to do in Logan, UT.
Cache Valley Visitors Bureau
Tour Cache Valley
45 Places to See, Things to do in Logan Canyon
Things to do in Logan, UT