Practice English and Make New Friends!
The English Conversation Partner Program helps international students improve their English speaking skills and gives American students the opportunity to get to know a new culture. If you would like to get involved on campus and broaden your horizons, then this is the program for you! The program runs in the fall and spring semesters.
Students who are interested in the English Conversation Partner Program must fill out the Application Form below and bring it to the International Student Office, Military Science Building, 115.
Who Can Be an International Partner?
- Any international student at USU who wants to improve his or her English speaking skills.
- Any international student at USU who wants to learn about American culture.
- International Student Application (pdf)
Who Can Volunteer to Be an American Partner?
- Any American student at USU who is interested in helping international students with English conversation and/or learning about American culture.
- Undergraduate student volunteers must have a minimum GPA of 3.0, graduate—a 3.5.
- American Student Application (pdf)
What Do International and American Partners Do?
- Meet with your partner at least once a week to practice your conversation skills—topics can be anything you both want to talk about or you may use the suggested topics below.
- Enjoy a social, cultural, or sport event with your American partner at least once a month.
- Communicate with program coordinator about how things are going at least twice a semester.
Suggested Topics for English Conversation
- Food and table manners
- Fashion and clothes
- Music and musical instruments
- Holidays and activities
- Educational system
- Political system
- National parks
- Recreational activities
- Travel experiences
- Other topics