Frequently Asked Questions

Listed below are some of the most frequently asked questions (FAQs). If you have any questions you do not see on the list, feel free to contact us at, we are happy to help you.

The Environment at USU

1. Where is Utah State University? 

Utah Sate University (USU) is located in northern Utah in the city of Logan. Logan is about 80 miles (128km) north of Salt Lake City, the capital of Utah.

2. What is the climate in Logan?

Average summer temperatures are 73 degrees Fahrenheit (29 degrees Celsius) and average winter temperatures are 22 degrees Fahrenheit (-5.55 degrees Celsius).

3. How safe is the community and campus?

USU is located in Logan, UT which has been rated one of the safest metropolitan ares in the United States for the last several years. Logan was also rated one of the best college towns by the American Institute for Economic Research. Both USU Aggie Shuttle and Cache Valley Transit District offer free transportation around the city and region. USU's Department of Public Safety educates students, staff, faculty, and the community about safety issues and resources.

4. How many students attend Utah State University?

For basic information about USU, visit Utah State University at a Glance.

5. Do you have student activities, events, and clubs and organizations?

Yes! To get involved, visit the USU Student Association (USUSA) for more information.

6. What are the application deadlines?

Semester Application Deadline
Fall (begins late August) May 1
Spring (begins early January) October 1
Summer (begins early May) February 1


7. How do I Apply? 

A link to the application steps can be found here. 

8. What is the Application Fee?

There is a $50 application fee for the undergraduate student application (this is a processing fee and cannot be waived or refunded).

9. What documents must I submit with my application?

• Official Transcripts from your high school or secondary school that includes complete grade sheets for 10th, 11th, and 12th grades. Certified copies are acceptable. Certified English translations must accompany all documents. Send these directly to our office. Transcripts sent by email or fax are NOT considered official, but will be used for evaluation purposes only.

• Official transcripts from any colleges or universities attended. Certified true copies are acceptable only for colleges or universities outside the U.S. Certified English translations must accompany all documents. Send these directly to our office.

• Proof of English language ability. Undergraduate applicants English proficiency is determined by a minimum TOEFL iBT score of 71 (TOEFL PBT score of 525), or an IELTS score of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.0 on each sub scale, or by passing level 4 (advanced level) of the Intensive English Language Institute (IELI) program at Utah State University.

  • If your score does not meet these requirements, or if you do not have a TOEFL or IELTS score, you may apply to the Intensive English Language Institute. After you pass the advanced level test and you have applied for an international undergraduate degree, you may attend regular university class. Qualified students currently in level 4 (advanced level) of IELI program may take one or more academic courses if approved by the IELI staff and their university advisor. Students at any level may audit academic courses with approval of the IELI staff.

• A copy of your passport. If you are now in the U.S., a copy of your visa and current I-20 are also requested. Click here to submit your passport copy and visa copy.

10. Do my documents need to be translated into English?

Yes. In order to evaluate your documents we require a certified English translation. This includes transcripts, bank statements, and any other documents that are not in English.

11. Can I check the status of my application?

Yes! Click here and log in using the email address and password you created to apply. After logging in, you can open your completed application and check its current status.

When your application is complete, it will be forwarded to the international admissions committee for evaluation. For some academic programs, your application will be reviewed by the academic department. We cannot predict how long the evaluation will take. An email with the admissions decision will be emailed to you.

Attending USU

12. Can I study at Utah State University if I am not proficient in English?

Yes. At Utah State University, students not proficient in English will be required to take classes at the Intensive English Language Institute (IELI) until they have achieved English proficiency.

International students can also apply for Intensive English Study only. They can take only IELI classes, then apply to USU later. To apply for IELI, click here.

13. How much does it cost to study at Utah State University?

Please visit our undergraduate application website for a breakdown of estimated costs. Click here.

14. Do I need to prove English proficiency if I am transferring from a college or university in the U.S.? 

If you wish to transfer to USU from another U.S. college or university, or transfer from a college or university outside the U.S., you must have an overall GPA of 2.5. If you have less than 48 credits (in academic, non ESL courses), you must prove English language proficiency by submitting official TOEFL or IELTS scores or by taking the IELI placement exam (see above).

15. Does USU accept transfer credits? 

Yes. After admission, please come to the Office of Global Engagement and speak with us about the process. You can email: for information about transferring credits.

16. What if I change my major before I receive my I-20?

Please email us at prior to admission to make the request to change your major.

17. What if I change my major after I receive my I-20?

If you have been admitted and issued an I-20 issued, you will need to meet with your academic advisor after you arrive at USU and he or she will assist you in changing your major. Be sure to email us at if you change your major and include in your email your desired major. An immigration advisor in the Office of Global Engagement will prepare a new I-20 listing your new major.


18. How will the I-20 or DS-2019 be sent to me?

After you have been accepted to Utah State University, we will send your acceptance letter, I-20, and other important information to you via FedEx or DHL. It is helpful for us to have a complete mailing address, including house number, street name, and postal zip or country code. The delivery service will not deliver to a post office box. A phone number is also required.

19. Do I still need an I-20 if I already have one from my current school?

Yes. You will need a new I-20 for your study at Utah State University. When you are admitted, a SEVIS Transfer Verification form will be sent to you by email to take to your school’s international student office. Your current school will return the form to us with the SEVIS release date and a new I-20 can then be prepared.

20. I How do I get a visa? What do I need to know about the immigration process?

Information on applying for a visa will be sent with your admission and immigration documents. You can also learn more by visiting the following websites:
Travel to the United States
Student Process Steps: How to Navigate the U.S. Immigration System

21. I have the F-1 visa? What is the earliest I can arrive?

You can arrive in the USA 30 days before classes begin.

22. What if my visa expires?

Please visit the U.S. Department of State website for answers regarding visas:
U.S. Visas: Frequently Asked Questions

23. What happens if my passport expires?

Be aware of the expiration dates on your visa, passport and I-20. It is best to renew them 6 months before they expire. If your passport is already expired, you will need to renew it IMMEDIATELY. For assistance, please email your questions or schedule an appointment by emailing

International Student Status

24. I have an F-2 visa and want to change to the F-1 visa. What should I do?

Please email your questions to so that International Admissions Committee can answer you appropriately. Please include your full name as it appears on your passport within the email.

25. May I bring my husband, wife, or children when I come to USU?

Email your questions to so that International Admissions Committee can answer you appropriately. Please include your full name as it appears on your passport within the email.  

Admission/Readmission Deny & Defer Admission

26. I want to decline admission. What should I do?

Please email and explain that you will not accept USU's offer of admission.

27. How can I request readmission?

Please email us at and let us know you wish to apply for readmission to USU and we will respond with the steps you need to follow. 

28. Can I defer my admission to a future semester?

You will need to complete the change of term request form. Please email to let us know you wish to defer.

29. Do I have to attend International Student Orientation?

Yes, attendance is required. After admission, if you do not receive information about international student orientation, please email us at

30. I am transferring from another U.S. university? Do I have to attend International Student Orientation?

Yes. There is immigration information that we are required to give to you at the international student orientation. After admission, if you do not receive information about orientation, please email us at

31. What is Connections?

University Connections is a two-credit course designed to help you transition to USU and prepare you for your college experience here. It is offered each fall semester.


32. Can I live on campus?

Please see the Housing and Residence Life website for information about on-campus housing.

For information about living off campus, you can view different housing options on these websites:
Off Campus Housing Directory
Utah College Housing
Blue Square

33. I completed the housing application and will be living on campus. When can I move in?

Please contact the Housing and Residence Life office.

Jobs & Tuition Waivers

34. Can I work on campus if I am an international student?

Yes. Full-time (12 undergraduate credits) USU international students can apply to work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week. Once you receive an A#, you can search for jobs that are on-campus at Career Aggie. Please ask for assistance in the Office of Global Engagement when you arrive at USU.

35. Are there tuition waivers for undergraduate international students?

There is limited funding available. Please see our website for tuition waiver opportunities currently available.

Transferring to USU

36. How can I transfer to USU?

Please see our website for instructions on how to apply to Utah State University. If you have questions, please email us at

37. Will my credits taken at another college or university transfer to USU?

Credits taken at another college or university in the United States will be evaluated after you are admitted. For information about how to request transfer of courses from a college or university outside the United States, please email