USU faculty members interested in hosting a visiting scholar
Faculty hosts initiate the DS-2019 immigration document request process by completing the form in Service-Now, which can be accessed at https://usu.service-now.com/usu/catalog_item.do?sysparm_id=3729906b4f363200c8ce85c98310c7d8.
- Faculty hosts will need to upload a letter of invitation on department letterhead which includes:
- Program objectives
- Program start date and end date
- The cost of the program (in US dollars) and identification of the sources of funding and amounts (in US dollars)
- Exchange visitors must show a minimum of US$1,500.00/ month to pay for living expenses, plus any additional charges assessed by the department.
- Documentation of who will purchase the insurance policy to meet the J-1 visa health insurance requirements.
- Verification the visiting scholar’s English proficiency is sufficient for program and daily living needs.
- Faculty hosts will provide the index number which will be used to pay for the DS-2019 processing fee.
- Visiting scholars can pay for DS-2019 documents for their dependents through this PayPal link.
- Service-Now will automatically route the request for the appropriate departmental approvals.
Service-Now sends an email to the visiting scholar titled “Qualtrics Survey for USU DS-2019” once the faculty host completes the request form. This email contains a link which enables the scholar to provide the required documentation for the DS-2019 immigration document. These documents include:
- CV/ resumé
- Copy of passport for scholar and any dependents
- Financial affidavits verifying financial support for the visiting scholar program
Please note federal regulations prohibit us from making and providing copies of the DS2019 form and thus we cannot e-mail the document to the international visitor.
The visiting scholar will need to pay the SEVIS fee of US $180.00 at: https://www.fmjfee.com/index.html# once they have received the DS-2019 document. The visiting scholar will take the receipt for this payment along with the DS-2019 document along with the documents provided for the DS-2019 (passport, CV, financial affidavit) to the visa interview.
Visiting scholars can purchase access to USU facilities by completing and returning this form to the Registrar’s Office.