USU faculty members interested in hosting a visiting scholar
Faculty hosts initiate the DS-2019 immigration document request process by completing the form in Service-Now, which can be accessed at https://usu.service-now.com/usu/catalog_item.do?sysparm_id=3729906b4f363200c8ce85c98310c7d8.
- Faculty hosts will need to upload a letter of invitation on department letterhead which includes:
- Program objectives
- Program start date and end date
- The cost of the program (in US dollars) and identification of the sources of funding and amounts (in US dollars)
- Exchange visitors must show a minimum of US$1,500.00/ month to pay for living expenses, plus any additional charges assessed by the department.
- Documentation of who will purchase the insurance policy to meet the J-1 visa health insurance requirements.
- Verification the visiting scholar’s English proficiency is sufficient for program and daily living needs.
- Faculty hosts will provide the index number which will be used to pay for the DS-2019 processing fee.
- Visiting scholars can pay for DS-2019 documents for their dependents through this PayPal link.
- Service-Now will automatically route the request for the appropriate departmental approvals.
Service-Now sends an email to the visiting scholar titled “Qualtrics Survey for USU DS-2019” once the faculty host completes the request form. This email contains a link which enables the scholar to provide the required documentation for the DS-2019 immigration document. These documents include:
- CV/ resumé
- Copy of passport for scholar and any dependents
- Financial affidavits verifying financial support for the visiting scholar program
The visiting scholar will need to pay the SEVIS fee of US $180.00 at: https://www.fmjfee.com/index.html# once they have received the DS-2019 document. The visiting scholar will take the receipt for this payment along with the DS-2019 document along with the documents provided for the DS-2019 (passport, CV, financial affidavit) to the visa interview.
The department is required to submit the Visiting Scholars Fee Authorization Form to the Registrar’s Office before the scholar arrives and for each subsequent semester. This will assign the scholar’s A-number to a group role as well as grant access to USU facilities. The department determines if they or the scholar will pay the corresponding fee.