J-1 Insurance Requirements
J-1 Exchange Visitors Program
All J-1 visa holders and their accompanying dependents are required by law to be insured the entire duration of their program regardless of whether or not they are physically present in the United States.
Minimum coverage must provide:
(1) Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness;
(2) Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000;
(3) Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of exchange visitors to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000; and
(4) Deductibles not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
**Please note: The benefits offered to employees of Utah State University do not provide the full coverage required to maintain the J-1 visa status. The High Premium (Blue) plan meets the $500 deductible required for the J-1 visa insurance. The exchange visitor must also purchase an additional plan from an outside vendor to provide the required minimum coverage of $25,000 for repatriation of remains and $50,000 for medical evacuation.
- One option for supplemental insurance for medical evacuation and/or repatriation of remains is Betins http://www.betins.com/Products/Evacuation/Evacuation.aspx (866-552-8834)
For assistance with the visiting scholars, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to make an appointment with our immigration advisors, please call 435-797-1124 or email email@example.com.