J-1 Insurance Requirements
J-1 Exchange Visitors Program
All J-1 visa holders and their accompanying dependents are required by law to be insured the entire duration of their program and stay in the United States. Minimum coverage must provide:
(1) Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness;
(2) Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000;
(3) Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of exchange visitors to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000; and
(4) Deductibles not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
**Please note: The benefits offered to employees of Utah State University do not provide the full coverage required to maintain the J-1 visa status. The High Premium (Blue) plan meets the $500 deductible required for the J-1 visa insurance. The exchange visitor must also purchase an additional plan from an outside vendor to provide the required minimum coverage of $25,000 for repatriation of remains and $50,000 for medical evacuation.
- One option for supplemental insurance for medical evacuation and/or repatriation of remains is Betins http://www.betins.com/Products/Evacuation/Evacuation.aspx (866-552-8834)
For assistance with the visiting scholars, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to make an appointment with our immigration advisors, please call 435-797-1124 or email email@example.com.